Saturday, November 07, 2009

So there I was...in Afghanistan...

This is an all too common view around here...dust is EVERYWHERE.

This is not unlike last year's adventure in Iraq...but there are some differences:

1. The food isn't as good...which isn't necessarily a bad thing! Last year's fare was significantly better, with a huge selection available, nearly every meal. There was also an ice cream bar and world class cheesecake available every lunch and dinner. Not good. This year...well...let's just say I won't have to worry about that issue!

2. The accomodations aren't nearly as nice. I'm still in a tent, awaiting assignment of a "mod." Mods are modular buildings with about 6 to a room. Last year I was in a trailer, with only one roommate. I actually had more room as an A1C in Desert Storm in the tent I was in back then!

3. Travel and transport around here is much harder to come by. Last year I had a vehicle, this year we're all sharing and getting to chow, the flightline, laundry, etc. is a much bigger production than last year. Also, while we did encounter some of the dusty conditions, all of the roads/streets were paved. Here, not so much.

4. The job is MUCH better this year! Last year I was in charge of a small flight. In fact, the smallest I've ever had in my career as an O. While the responsibilities were there, they weren't that many. This year, well...450+ personnel and 65+ aircraft of 5 different types, in 8 different units...and I'm number 2 in the squadron. I run maintenance and my boss is the squadron commander. MUCH busier...and that is a VERY good thing!! The mission is also much more tangible. Results of our collective efforts are evident EVERYDAY.

5. This deployment is longer...last year's was a quick 125ish days...this year's 185+...although missing the kiddo's B-day was a repeat and the holidays will be a bust again. Oh well...it's what we do...

So those are the major differences...more to follow...

Hope all are well!!

afcaptbuck

3 comments:

Buck said...

I gotta start coming by more often. It's good to see you're updating more frequently.

Mobias1 said...

I would like to be a pilot someday. Check out my blog. Trueworld

qifei2012 said...

P90X is an extreme home fitness system designed to effectively whip you into shape in a three month period. In 90 days fitness trainer Tony Horton will push you to levels you never thought were possible. Through a year of careful research and design, the P90X workout DVDs were handcrafted to create a muscle-toning, fat burning sensation that has taken the fitness world by storm.